The Pearce Institute
The Pearce Institute (known locally as the PI) is one of the most important buildings in Govan.
Designed by Sir Rowand Anderson and completed in 1906, the PI is a Category ‘A’ listed building in recognition of its national and international importance. The Institute was gifted to the working men and women of Govan by Lady Pearce in memory of her late husband, Sir William Pearce, under whose guidance Fairfield Shipyards became the biggest and probably the most technically advanced shipyard in the world.
The Pearce Institute originally held a range of activities for the whole family – from reading rooms, to a gymnasium for sports and games and many workshops including cooking classes. Nowadays the PI is home to a wide range of community groups and social economy organisations who share the common aim of meeting the needs of the people of Govan. In addition, the PI can offer a wide range of accomodation for hire and is an ideal venue for meetings, conferences, social functions, recreational pursuits and leisure activities.
Learn more about: